Mashed Potatoes with Mix-Ins
Mashed potato mix-ins
- Cheese - 1/2 cup crumbled, shredded, or grated cheese, such as blue, sharp Cheddar, feta, Parmesan
- Bacon - 1/3 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- Green onions - 1/3 cup minced green onions
- Fresh herbs - 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil, chives, dill, marjoram, oregano, tarragon, thyme or sage
- Onions - 1/2 cup chopped cooked red or white onions or leeks
- Garlic - 1 tablespoon roasted garlic puree, or four cloves garlic boiled and mashed with potatoes
- Cabbage - 1 cup coarsely grated cabbage, cooked
- Sauerkraut - 1 cup fresh or canned sauerkraut, drained and chopped
- Sausage - 1/2 cup chopped salami, pepperoni, or crumbled cooked sausage
- Horseradish - 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
Place potatoes and enough water to cover in a 4-quart saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Return potatoes to saucepan and shake over heat to remove excess moisture.
In a large bowl, mash potatoes well with a potato masher or fork, or put them through a ricer. In a small saucepan, heat milk, butter and TABASCO® Green Sauce until warm and stir into mashed potatoes along with parsley and salt; whip with a fork, whisk or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Serve immediately with mix-ins of choice.